Sunday, March 8, 2009

In Guangzhou



We are actually here! What a day, we awoke again having fallen asleep before dinner (poor Tom) and awoke again before the sun. We waited until 6 to venture out and get breakfast at Hing Fat. We ate breakfast there on our second day, and they were great to us, I actually like having my eggs and sausage (hot dog) in a bowl of macaroni and broth. Things we have eaten have been different but all very good. I couldnt explain a lot of them to you, because words just wouldnt do it justice.
After our breakfast Tom, Caila and Nick went to the Botanical Gardens. I stayed back with Maren and Ben and did some reading and homework. I just wasnt in the mood for sightseeing. We left the hotel in Hong Kong at 11 and took two cabs to Hang Hom Trainstation to meet up with our adoption staff and the other families. There are 5 other families plus ours with our group. We rode the train here and enjoyed the peace and quiet and getting to know each other a little, as well as having our briefing about what to expect here in Guangzhou. We have the most amazing rooms at the Holiday Inn Shifu. They are huge and modern, and you look out the window and see small houses with small balconies and peoples laundry hanging from lines drying outside. It humbles you to think how much we have and how complicated our lives are compared to so many people in the world. We are truly blessed to live in the United States, and yet I see how much these people really have.
We ate at a chinese fast food place that looks like KFC, but has a Kung Fu guy as its mascot. We have no idea what we ordered, and it was an interesting meal. I'm guessing beef (lots of small bones though) with rice. Some spicy and some sweet. Boiled lettuce salad with a clear broth. Soup that none of us tried, because we just couldnt stomach what color it was. I cant say I will run back, but I'm glad I tried it.
Tomorrow around 2:30 we get Eliana. The kids are already fighting over who gets to hold her first. I was told I get to hold her first, then Tom and I forget who is after that. I think it was based on age at that point. I cant wait to blog about her to all of you , and give you new pictures of what she looks like. The fuzzy dream will be over tomorrow and it will be real!
Good night!

11 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sherry said...

We're praying for you guys! We CANNOT wait until your big day tomrorow! What joy that will bring to not only your family, but to all of us to see if FINALLY happen. Hugs all around! - Sherry

Anonymous said...

As I look at the time in China, it's close to 7:30 Monday morning. Incredible to believe that in just hours you will meet your daughter face to face! We're praying not only for your time in China and everything to go smoothly and without any bumps, but for the transition back at home. We are excited knowing that when we wake up tomorrow morning, Eliana will be with her family - at last.

Amy said...

I will be restkess tonight! So glad that you are close! I am so ready for the wait to "fade" for you. Hoping that all is smooth and on time. Glad to hear that your room is great! I know you are going to love having all that time there. I really think it will help you to have some good down time for bonding. We went to that fast food chinese place as well. We really had some good meals there, and I think we all three ate for $6!! Praying adn waiting with you, Amy

Irene said...

Branders - I can't believe you're just hours away now!! We're so excited for you all!! I cannot wait to see little Eliana in your arms! We'll keep praying for the transition and your bonding time. We love the details of your trip and can't wait hear all of the details about your little one! Love you all!

Alyssa Marie said...

Im excited for you guys! You will be in my prayers today as add this beautiful new addition to your family. Much love, Alyssa

Brad Arnold said...

Wow, I wish I could be there with you guys. I love that place. Like Amy said, that fast food place was one of our favorites. Maybe we are just cheap. We are praying that gotcha went great, and that the Lord would grant you favor in her eyes. Praying also for good rest...

Anonymous said...

It's so good to read about your travels and that you probably have Eliana in your arms now!!! David and I are praying for you and can't wait to meet Eliana!Love you!
Lynette

Anonymous said...

Someone in the group just posted your blog on the Lifelink site! I'm so glad you're in China!!!!

Our journeys sound very similar. Glad you're enjoying China. Can't wait to hear how Nick is doing with the "smell" outside the hotel.

I trust the bonding is going well. Can't wait to see and hear all about Eliana!

Love -
The DeHaan's

seanK said...

So how does it feel to have your family complete? I know you have waited a long time. I am looking forward to seeing lots of pictures and hearing all the funny stories. We are praying for you. love ya
The Kennedy's

Anonymous said...

hey maren! me and drew are already fighting over who's coming over first.superstart was a blast.Everyone was there ,it was like being back at cca.tell eliania i said hi.i check the blog daily and pray.


Emily.